If you're visiting Paris and have a plan to travel around the city by public transport, you can save money with the Paris Visite travelcard. The Paris Travelcard also called the Paris Visite Pass is a card offering an unlimited travel across central Paris. This travel card can be used on Paris public transport network at any time of the day and any day of the week.
Paris Public Transport Network
The Paris Visite travelcard lets you access all the main parts of Paris public transport network, including:
- Paris Métro: the underground system consisting of 16 interconnected lines and also linked to the express train RER;
- RER: the regional train transport system connecting the center of Paris to its surrounding suburbs;
- Buses: there are over 60 daytime bus routes and 40 night ones in Paris;
- Trams: currently there are 7 tram lines in Paris;
- SNCF Transilien trains;
- Montmartre Funicular.
Be noted that there is a number of transportation options in Paris that are not included in the Paris Visite travelcard such as Hop On Hop Off buses or Batobus, which is a shuttle boat that travels down the River Seine.
Using the Paris Visite travelcard
The main things that you need to know about The Paris Visite travelcard before using it are listed below.
Where can I use the Paris Visite travelcard?
Paris is divided into 5 transport zones. The Paris Visite travelcard is valid on all public transport networks in central Paris depending on the zones you select.
The Paris Visite travelcard is available for 2 different zones.
- Zones 1 to 3 (Central Paris): travels in Paris and the close suburbs which covers all of central Paris
- Zones 1 to 5 (Paris and Ile-de-France): travels in Paris, the close suburbs and attractions outside Paris such as Chateau de Versailles or Disneyland Paris, the Château de Fontainebleau, and the medieval town of Provins. It also gives you access to the main airports - Paris Orly Airport (zone 4) and Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (zone 5)
How to use the Paris Visite travelcard?
For the Paris Visite travelcard to be valid, you must write your name and surname on it, along with the starting and ending dates of validity.
The Paris Visite travelcard will be activated on the first time of your travel on any transport network.
The validity period of the card starts at midnight on the first day and ends at midnight on the last day so if you will activate your Paris Visite travelcard at 18:00 on your first day, it will be counted as day 1 of your travelcard usage. It’s worth to begin using the ticket on the day as early as possible.
The Paris Visite travelcard works on a consecutive day basis only.
The Paris Visite travelcard Fare
The Paris Visite travelcard fare depends on the length of your stay and the zones you'll be visiting. The Paris Visite travelcard is valid for 1, 2, 3 or 5 consecutive days within selected zones. If you'd only like to travel in central Paris, choose zones 1-3. Choose zones 1-5 to explore the entire Paris region.
Zones 1 to 3
1 Day - Adult 13.20 EUR, Child 6.60 EUR
2 Days - Adult 21.50 EUR, Child 10.80 EUR
3 Days - Adult 29.40 EUR, Child 14.70 EUR
5 Days - Adult 42.20 EUR, Child 21.10 EUR
Zones 1 to 5
1 Day - Adult 27.80 EUR, Child 13.90 EUR
2 Days - Adult 42.20 EUR, Child 21.10 EUR
3 Days - Adult 59.20 EUR, Child 29.60 EUR
5 Days - Adult 72.40 EUR, Child 36.20 EUR
The Paris Visite travelcard is offered at a discounted fare for children from 4 to 11 years old.
Public transport is free for children under 4 years old.
Where to buy the Paris Visite travelcard?
You can purchase the Paris Visite travelcard at any Metro, RER station counter (airport included) or Paris tourist office.
You can also book it online here: Paris Visite TravelCard.
The Paris Visite travelcard discounts
The Paris Visite travelcard also entitles you to 100 EUR of discounts for some of Paris attractions that can be redeemed upon presentation of your valid pass, such as:
- 25% off the entrance fee to the Arc de Triomphe and 5% off in shops
- 25% off the entrance fee to the Montparnasse Tower Observation Deck
- 20% off the entrance fee to Pantheon
- 25% off the Bateaux Parisiens Seine River Sightseeing Cruise
- 20% off the entrance fee to permanent collection at Army Museum/Invalides
Who should use the Paris Visite travelcard?
The Paris Visite travelcard is suitable for anyone who tends to use public transportation intensively to travel around Paris for few days.
Is Paris Visite travelcard worth it?
It is recommended to make a plan before buying the Paris Visite travelcard as it completely depends on how often you are going to use public transportation during your stay in Paris.
As a single ticket costs 1.90 EUR, for making the Paris Visite travelcard worth it you need to travel:
- at least 7 times a day with a 1 Day pass (13.20 EUR)
- at least 6 times a day with a 2 Day pass (21.50 EUR)
- at least 6 times a day with a 3 Day pass (29.40 EUR)
- at least 5 times a day with a 5 Day pass (42.20 EUR)
Buying the Paris Visite travelcard Zones 1-5 is worth it if you are planning to go to/from the airport and/or visiting Disneyland is included in your trip plan. The round trip to Disneyland costs 16.80 EUR, the round trip to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport on RER costs 22.80 EUR and round trip to Paris Orly Airport by OrlyVal costs 26.60 EUR.
Not only price of the tickets should be taken into consideration when thinking if the Paris Visite travelcard is worth it. One more benefit of the Paris Visite travelcard is the convenience of being able to use the ticket without the need to stand in line for buying a ticket over and over again. Paris metro stations can get really packed during rush hours.