Bratislava public transport lets you conveniently travel around the capital of Slovakia. It’s also the cheapest way for getting around the city if you are not into long walks. What is Bratislava public transport ticket price and where to buy a ticket?
Where to buy Bratislava public transport ticket?
Bratislava public transport tickets can be purchased on ticket machines found in most of main bus stops, at the bus station and all train stations. Just look for a yellow ticket machine box at the bus stop.
On these ticket machines you can use cash (coins only, 1 cent & 2 cent coins not accepted) or contactless credit/debit card for buying your Bratislava public transport ticket.
Bratislava Public Transport Ticket Price
Bratislava public transport ticket price depends on the duration of validity and the number of zones included. If you are planning just to travel around the city, ticket valid in the zones 100+101 will be enough. However, all types of tickets, regardless of their zone validity, are valid within the city of Bratislava.
Single ticket basic fare applicable for adults from 16 years is as follows:
- 15 min ticket valid in zones 100+101 – 0.70 EUR
- 30 min ticket valid in zones 100+101 – 0.90 EUR
- 60 min ticket valid in 3 zones – 1.20 EUR
- 60 min ticket valid in 4 zones – 1.50 EUR
- 90 min ticket valid in 5 zones – 1.80 EUR
- 90 min ticket valid in 6 zones – 2.10 EUR
If you are planning to use public transportation intensively, buying Bratislava public transport day ticket might be a cheaper option. Price of Bratislava public transport day ticket that is valid for 24 hours:
- day ticket valid in zones 100+101 – 3.50 EUR
- day ticket valid in all zones – 6.90 EUR
Discounted fare tickets for half price can be used by:
- children from 6 to 15.99 years old
- students from 16 to 25.99 years old with a valid student card
- seniors from 62 years
All tickets are through-tickets meaning that during the time your ticket is valid, you can transfer from one vehicle to another without purchasing new ticket.
How to buy Bratislava public transport ticket?
Buying Bratislava public transport ticket on ticket machine is pretty simple:
- select the type of ticket by pressing the correct button (if you want to buy several tickets at once, press the button repeatedly)
- the total fare of your chosen tickets will show up on the screen
- if you are going to pay in cash, put coins into the slot until the inserted amount will reach the total fare displayed (5, 10, 20, 50 cent and 1, 2 euro coins are only accepted)
- if you are going to pay with a contactless credit/debit card, press the button “PLATBA KARTOU / pay with card” and then touch the dedicated area with your card (it can be found on the lower part of ticket machine, right below the ticket issuance slot)
- you can also combine both payment methods – insert the amount of cash you are planning to use first and then press the button “PLATBA KARTOU / pay with card” for paying the rest of the fare
- once the total fare is paid, paper tickets will fall down into their dedicated slot (change will fall down into another slot, so don’t forget to check both of them)
How to use Bratislava public transport ticket?
Bratislava public transport ticket must be validated immediately after first boarding the bus or tram. If you travel by train, you need to validate the ticket on the platform before boarding the train. Be noted that the ticket without validation stamp is invalid.
Once on the bus or tram, look for such a validator, place your ticket into the slot and it will get stamped with the validation stamp. Your ticket will be valid for the selected time (15, 30, 60 or 90 min) starting from the moment of validation.